Monday, April 8, 2013

People in your life

So, I dated this guy for the past couple of months, who I ended it with not too long ago. The whole thing was interesting - it was a set up, by one of HIS friends through an outing one night... long story short, I didn't know anything about him, we hit it off, but something about him I wasn't keen on and in the end, it's why I ended it. We still keep in touch, but on a completely friend level only, even though he mentions the  idea of us being together again... often... then retracts when he doesn't get the reaction out of me that he'd like.
It's amusing, but more than anything - it's been an incredibly interesting experience of what I'd like etc.

Years ago, I dated a guy who I thought was pretty cool. We got along quite well, there was pretty decent chemistry and he seemed (note the word seemed) nice. But there was something 'off' about him... pretty much I couldn't figure it out until a friend pointed out that he was the 'transition' guy - and I was trying to fit a round peg in a square hole... trying to make him 'fit' into my life.
So... this time around, when the comments started with: you're awesome and amazing... have you thought that maybe your sports are a tad aggressive for a girl? I don't think guys like that sort of thing - but I don't mind it, cause I really like you...
Um, what? *warning bells screeching at me*
Then the ' you don't seem to have much time for me...' meanwhile, I'd suggest days to get together and he'd say he was 'busy' with no explanation, so I'd just offer another day - then he'd comment that maybe if I didn't do so many activities that perhaps we'd have more time together... what?

Ok - for those who know me and know me well... I like my workouts and sporting activities. I'm a nicer and more easy going person when I'm doing these activities. I find it balances me and after years of doing way too many, I think now I'm at an even point where I see my friends and also can do tons of fun sports stuff - watching and doing.
I didn't need to hear from someone that my life was 'too busy.'
I have friends who have way more on the go than me and still find time to have fabulous relationships. I think I'm just not the type he could date long-term as there would be those little digs CONSTANTLY. I also felt he was trying to manipulate me, even if he didn't think he was... Love men. What it came down to, I think, was lack of self esteem - he had a sports injury that didn't allow him to do his fav activities (the guy wasn't active AT ALL at this point and honestly, I think it played into his insecurities) and compensated by pushing his own insecurities on me.  SINCE I ended things with him, he's calmed down - meaning, we didn't talk for awhile then he asked if we could chat and well, sure - why not. He complained about some things and then apologized profusely for the rest. He'll still mention that he thinks we'd be a good match long term... and though PARTS of that may be true... I can't be with someone who doesn't like my lifestyle. Though he doesn't admit to that at all...
I'm a 'downtown' girl (he lives in the burbs) who likes to travel (he hasn't done much, but said he'd do it with me...) and also likes to do fun stuff outdoors (he isn't capable of doing a lot right now, and even when he's fully healed, he'd probably find most things too strenuous and probably complain), and I have a bunch of fun friends who like to go out and do stuff and drink (he doesn't drink much) and I'm not one for watching a lot of sports on tv (he watches most sports, loves mostly all sports, watches a lot of them and follows them), prefer to do more and watch the ones that matter to me.
SO, you're probably wondering what the actual appealing things were?
He was so fun to talk to. We could talk for HOURS and HOURS and it was awesome. We had incredibly good discussions (the odd argument) and he was interesting.
So... he was 'transition' guy - just at a different time, in a different body, with different issues... the good was good, the bad was way too bad... and I'm glad I tried it and glad I moved on.
But there was a reason he was brought in my life, and I think that's it - to know the good, to give other guys a chance that I normally wouldn't (he wasn't physically what I normally go for) and to get to know that good in people and be open to so many more possibilities.
It was cool - and also just reminded me that there are people in our lives for certain reasons and to appreciate them for everything as they appreciate us too!

No comments:

Post a Comment